I never thought I'd be someone who enjoyed being pregnant. I mean, you hear horror stories from women who've gone through it and though they are always on the side of, "It was worth it!," I was pretty scared to grow a little human in my body.
But all the things they say about the miracle of it all are true...that's why they say them. Feeling this baby roll over and kick and stretch is like nothing I could have ever imagined. It truly is amazing.
That God would allow me this great privilege, well, I'm astounded.
Every morning, I wake up, waddle (ever so slightly) to the shower and the whole time I think, "You're pregnant. Pregnant!" I truly never thought I would get to do this. And even though I suffered through a bit of nausea for a few months and some gnarly pregnancy headaches here and there, I am thoroughly enjoying this pregnancy.
And so is Rocky. He gets a good giggle seeing me try to work my way off the couch and he's not complaining about my...ahem...endowments. He got to feel the baby kick for the first time about a week ago. It wasn't as strong to him as I can feel it inside, but it will be soon enough.
I would say that I can't wait for this baby to come so that I can snuggle him or her, but the truth is, this may be the only time I get to do this so I am savoring every moment, even the uncomfortable ones. I'm enjoying having the baby all to myself before the world expects me to share. Sometimes, I even gently poke my belly and whisper, "Wake up, baby."
It's amazing that you can miss someone you've never met.
And when the baby moves, I say, "There you are!" It's such an intimate, holy experience for me. It has filled me with a gratitude I never knew existed.
Thank you, God, for giving me this gift. For allowing my body to do what many women before me have done and what so many women around me long to do. I will be forever grateful for this experience.
And to my little one, kicking around in those increasingly cramped quarters of yours, we love you so much already. You are such a precious gift to me and Daddy. Every day we are praying for you and wondering who you will be, what you will look like. Though I long to hold you and kiss you, I'm content to have you right where you are; growing, learning, resting, before you're welcomed into this big, beautiful world. So keep growing, baby. Stay safe and warm, But when mommy pokes you to play, please humor her and put on a little show.
Sincerely,
Mommy
Another page into your beautifully written book of life.
ReplyDeleteI so enjoy reading these. Good or bad, happy or sad, they are all uniquely beautiful.