Thursday, February 19, 2015

Winter

It's been two weeks since the last post, the news that our day in court had been postponed for another three months. We've had time to grieve, be angry and move on to everyday normal life. Things have been quiet, uneventful even. Everything feels normal; nothing lurking under the surface, no shoe waiting to be dropped, no chaos about to ensue. It's been nice.

We've been cooped up for weeks now due to inclement weather and freezing temperatures. We've seen more snow and ice in the last few weeks than we have for the entire winter. Temperatures have recently begun to dip into the negative, making it painful to even walk to and from the garage to get into the car. Sometimes even our eyeballs and teeth hurt.

It's hard to have little boys full of energy in a city where winter is a good 6 months long. It's hard on moms and dads who have to entertain, mediate, engage and discipline because their kids are so bored that they pick fights with one another. Though it's been a great two weeks, it's also been exhausting. I'm sure my third-trimester fatigue makes matters worse.

Our due date is quickly approaching, and yet it feels like forever away, just out of reach. Rocky has been working relentlessly on nights and weekends to get the nursery ready, build us a laundry room upstairs, and repair drywall and paint in areas that were long overdue for such attention. He is truly my rock and my hero; He loves our family well, and serves me in a way that makes me feel loved and cherished way down in my very soul. In every way that a husband should be, he is Jesus to me.

The boys have been doing tremendously well in school. Our big boy is reading more and more words everyday and was overcome with joy the other night when he was able to read his own homework instructions. It made my heart swell with joy that he was proud of himself instead of feeling embarrassed or inadequate by his delays. His new-found confidence is every parent's dream. Our little one is counting and learning math and can now write his own name without a sample and spell it out-loud without help. We're still working on identifying all letters of the alphabet and struggling to write some numbers, but I see improvements everyday and I'm so proud to be their mom.

As for me, well I'm trying to enjoy the last few weeks of being pregnant. It's hard to do so when I'm stuck at work sitting in a very uncomfortable chair, staring at a computer screen for 7 hours a day. I'm very much counting down the days until I can rest and nest at home in preparation for baby boy's arrival. Only 6 more work days to go! (This countdown has been what's getting me through...)

This has all been such an amazing experience that I feel simultaneously excited and anxious to hold onto it as long as I can. We never expected this baby, and I'm definitely treating it as if it will be my only pregnancy, so I am savoring even the unpleasant parts knowing that this is such an honor and a privilege. Though I am so looking forward to holding my sweet baby in my arms (and truly hoping he comes a little early!), I'm also clinging to his last few weeks in the womb; protected, sheltered, safe. All the things I cannot provide once he's here. All the things I will have to pray to God to provide for him instead.

It's very scary to be a parent, you know. You believe the lie that no one loves your kids more than you do, and that you know best. But the reality is that God loves my children more than I can ever imagine, and His way is the best way. Even when I can't see it. Even when I don't understand. Even when I don't agree. I have to believe that this is true. It is my only comfort when my children suffer an injustice. Knowing that God loves them more, and has a plan for their life that I cannot see, brings me a peace that I otherwise would not have.

Recently, several of our friends have been faced with some tremendous struggles, health-wise. Things that make you lift your eyes up to the heavens and ask, "Why, God? Why did this have to happen to this person?" It's a pointless question, I know, but when we're faced with such tragedy and uncertainty and fear, it's the only question we can think to ask, as if having an answer would bring comfort. We've been stretched as a church, and having our faith grown and deepen in ways that would not have occurred had it not been for the hardships we've encountered, both in our own lives and in our congregation. We're becoming a church that prays for one another, that expects healing, that seeks God in everything. With this, we are being transformed. Our homes, our marriages, our communities are feeling the ripple effect from this tiny pocket of praying immigrant believers in this city. 

With that being said, I humbly ask that you pray alongside us for the following:

-That the boys' court date would stand and that a resolution in their favor would be reached that day
-Healing for our friends suffering from chronic and dangerous health issues
-Provision for our friends who are suffering with finances and unemployment
-A smooth delivery and a healthy baby for us
-And finally, that God would continue to grow and empower our church in this city, for His glory

We cannot do this without the prayers and support of other believers. We are one church, one body, one tribe. May God keep us united, even in our separation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment