Let’s talk about expectations.
The kind of expectations that we all have about how
things should be. Like when you’re a teenager and you just know that you’re going to get your degree, and land your dream job
(assuming you know what that is at this point), get married, buy a house and a
dog and have 2.7 kids.
So you do just that. You get your education (all the while
working full time, so go you!), you land a job with major career potential that
you actually like and that pays well, you buy a home (because God is taking his
time in the Mr. Right department), and then a few years later your husband
walks into your life and *poof*, most of your dreams are complete. There are
all other kinds of interests and adventures and endeavors that you two will
enjoy together, but kids? Well, no kids…yet.
Being in your 30s and having no kids gives you time to
think. Time to plant dreams. Time to grow expectations like a garden.
And then you have kids (birth, foster, adopt…whatever)
and you realize that your kids don’t look like the seeds planted in your dreams
or the flowers growing in your expectation garden. Your kids, though beautiful
and strong, are damaged, malnourished, needing light and protection. And your
expectations? They’re crowding them, suffocating them even. So what do you do?
You weed the garden.
You remove the expectations so that your children can
grow, thrive.
Our six-year old has been having a heck of a time in the last
few weeks. Disobedience, bad behavior, foul language, talking back, fighting,
lying, cheating, you-name-it. This has been followed up with discipline,
talking, explaining, tears, hugs, promises of I-will-be-good-tomorrow. And then
it happens again and we’re at a loss.
Our boy is hurting. He’s angry. He’s frustrated at his
circumstances. He’s confused. He does not understand why his young life looks
the way it does.
So he lashes out. And then he shuts down.
Just like that.
And the next day begins anew with hope and expectations.
Expectations.
That word. That word is the cause of so much of my sin.
That word is rooted in anger and pride. That word demands to know Why can’t you just do things right? Why can’t
you just be good? Why are you doing these things? Why, why, why?
And my heart is ugly because I think these things. When I’ve
done everything I can do and nothing is changing and I am exhausted, I cling to my expectations, my righteous
indignation, my you’d-better-knock-it-off attitude. I hope my disappointment
and my anger will cause change- at least fear of being in trouble that will
result in change. But when has disappointment and anger ever caused change that
was good?
So I need to kick my habit – my expectation habit. I need
to quit cold-turkey. I need to stop being so damn disappointed when my kids do
not act the way I think they can, should, better. I need to understand that
they are their own people. I need to see that they are wounded and hemorrhaging
and that maybe sometimes the only way to get the bleeding to stop is to fight.
I need to confess.
I need to pray.
I need to forgive.
I need to hold, hug, watch, listen.
I need to be Jesus to these boys who don’t quite know Him
yet.
I need to hope.
Love you!
ReplyDeleteYou've done it again. Waaaaaaa ��
ReplyDeleteWhere's the like button???????
ReplyDelete