Monday, February 24, 2014

And So the Packing Begins...

There’s something about moving that makes me sad.

My whole life I’ve felt like I’ve moved constantly, and to a degree I have. For the most part, I’ve actually loved that, but that act of packing up the house and boxing up the memories always makes me sad. The thought of someone else living in my space once I’m gone, arranging their furniture differently than ours was, having people over for dinner that are complete strangers…am I the only one who thinks about these things?

When I was a kid, and we’d move from place to place with the military, I always (sometimes obsessively) thought about the life our house would lead once we had moved on. Who would move in? How would they decorate? What kind of life would they have? Who would sleep in my room? What would they do on a Friday night as a family? The thought of it all always made me sad inside, even though I was almost always excited to be going somewhere new.

I still struggle with that and I think I know why.

Nothing quite like a home, no other inanimate object, can quite hold the memories of a life lived like a house can. It’s like a container of memories; good, bad, happy, sad…the life we’ve lived in whatever amount of time is contained within these walls. Packing it all away in boxes, a chapter closing, is like saying goodbye to a friend you will never see again; goodbye to a chapter you will never live again. There’s a grieving to it that I’ve never gotten used to, even in all these years of moving.

As we pack up our apartment in Logan Square, I can’t help but feel melancholic at leaving behind the walls that welcomed us to Chicago, where we started a new life in a new place, where we became parents and deepened our relationships with friends, co-workers and family. Leaving behind this space, and thinking about someone new living here instead, makes my heart hurt, despite my joy at moving somewhere new – a place we own! A place with a yard, and two stories and a garage – things we haven’t had in the last year and a half of living in the city. I am so excited for this new house and what it means for us and our boys. I feel so blessed and cared for by my God, who never fails to provide for our needs. I am grateful and happy and full.

But these boxes, these empty shelves and windowsills, these last pages in this chapter – for them, I might weep.

I am, afterall, saying goodbye to a friend; a part of me, a part of my story, our family’s story.

And all I can think is, thank you, God, for such a beautiful beginning to our lives in Chicago. May the next chapter glorify you even more.



3 comments:

  1. So much of this post...so much I relate to. Sending lots of love and prayers your way as the next steps and adventures of your lives begin. I'm praying you can put down deep roots into rich soil and that you will feel at home and peace in your new place. Is that cheesy? You know what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little slow to go, but I'm reading this and I too had the same thoughts on what others did with the house we used to live in. I too was a military brat and skipped all over the world- 16 different cities in the first thirty years of my life. Twice, as a kid, I had gone back to where we used to live and I've asked if I could see the house again. Both times the family obliged and allowed me to see my room- and they WERE different. I suppose they should have been, but it hurt a little.
    I think about it now and it makes me smile because me memories are all mine. And that IS just fine by me. I look forward to the next move in my life. This house will have left a monumental affect on my life, but the adventure...will be equally monumental!
    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not an army brat but for some unknown reason my mom wanted to move every year. My saving grace was that we never moved far from our church, although I did attend a new school every year, I'm so thankful my parents gave me a deep foundation in my spiritual life and I'm so happy that you and Rocky are laying down those same foundations for your boys.

    ReplyDelete